A friendship transaction

13:03

The end of June, when the sunsets were blazing, our friendship bloomed from a separate mistake
Four hours of non-stop conversation;
of me pouring my heart out, telling you things I never would've thought of saying
Into the wee hours, you listened from 10 kilometres away, while I rested under the lights
Sleepy eyes, the both of us, the next morning
I felt so thankful

The start of July, we sat under the stars together for the first time
and we talked about what, I can't remember, but
I felt so thankful

Since then so many images of sunrises, sunsets and of your face have surfaced



Late August, I'd say the peak of this short-lived journey
Though my spirits have been dampened by the downpour in June,
the breeze in August took the smog with it
We ate, we laughed, we sang
and  _   _ _ _ _ _
I felt so thankful



Then one night, under the stars once again
You told me a heart-shattering tale in an ironically cool and calm manner
Your words caught my tongue and I didn't know what to say or what to do
I felt so thankful
your attempts to said goodbye had failed
and you were sitting right there in front of me

What you said reaffirmed how important you were to my life
and how much I loved and needed you
What would I have done at my lowest points?
I felt so thankful
for you

That was when I bought Alfred


Then the storms of mid-September came
Neither of us was ready for them
We were caught up by other schoolwork, other friends, other other things
but each other
We spent less time together and I cannot say I wasn't disappointed

We became more and more wary of each other's words

We fought.

We talked less
I thought more

I started staying up late looking through old pictures we took together
They brought me so much joy at first
Then I realised they were all in the past
Same with old conversations
I went through one year's worth of chitchat between us
and apparently so much has changed
The frequent 'how's the day' has turned into us apologising every odd day

Haha

The way you speak sometimes  aloof and cold
It never fazed me up until recently
Even more recently I've learnt to swallow my voice just to keep them from your ears

I'm sorry but I'm tired
I'm tired of trying and trying again to no avail
I'm tired of crying

Perhaps it's my fault this ship is sinking
Perhaps it's just life with its turn of events
Perhaps we're both too obsessed with the idea of recreating moments and we haven't learnt that it's impossible to do so

I'm sorry, perhaps I'm just taking the easy way out

 Now I have no one to call on Saturday nights
Now I have no one to sing with under the stars
Now I have no shelter in the rain 
Now I have lost my best friend

(were we best friends?)

We've hurt each other
We've shared bits of our lives with each other
We've been there for each other

We've made full use out of each other,
I've given and received, you too, have
Now our expiration date has been stamped on;
like transaction time stamps on a passbook
it's running out of space

This three-month short transaction has got to end
it's taking a toll on us


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts